Ten Ways You Can Make a Difference
- Schedule a program, staff a display table or put out literature at your place of worship, community service club, office, library or local school to provide information about eye, organ and tissue donation. Eversight will send educational materials for your use and may join you when possible.
- Print an article about donation in a company newsletter or arrange to have your company place the Donor Registry brochure in everyone’s paycheck.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper supporting organ and tissue donation and encouraging others to sign up on the Donor Registry
- Call your favorite TV or radio station or newspaper and encourage them to cover a story about donation/transplantation. Then, briefly share your personal story.
- Arrange to have donor awareness materials distributed at community events and health fairs.
- Ask your friends – are they eye, organ and tissue donors? Encourage them to talk about it with each other and their families.
- Contact your local high school to encourage transplant education. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has free programs that are available through Eversight.
- Add a donor awareness message or sticker to your written communication or advertising.
- Share your story with everyone and encourage them to sign up on the Donor Registry.
- Fill out an Ambassador Tracking Form and submit it to Eversight so that we can estimate how many people are being reached throughout our service areas.
People Want to Hear Your Story
Long before the information age, our ancestors conveyed information of importance through the telling of stories. While we have access to mass media outlets and high-tech tools, the tradition of storytelling remains a powerful method for communicating with individuals and their communities. As an Ambassador, you are a storyteller in your community.
Whether you are sharing your story with just one individual or an entire group, the goal and approach are the same: You are sharing your experience to inspire others to support eye, organ and tissue donation and join the Donor Registry. Before people can reach a decision regarding eye, organ and tissue donation, they must first understand the process and realize how their choice will affect the lives of others.
Outline for Sharing Your Story
- Give your name.
- Relay your relationship to Eversight (e.g. recipient).
- State that you are a volunteer for Eversight.
- Your personal story
- Donor Family member: tell the audience about your loved one, what happened and how you made the decision to donate.
- Recipient: tell what your life was like before your transplant, what it was like to have the surgery and how the transplant has made a difference in your life.
- Provide Factual Information(See FAQ)
- Provide answers to some frequently asked questions.
- Offer an opportunity for questions and answers. If you don’t know an answer, take their contact information and get back with them after contacting Eversight for answers.
- Encourage action
- Tell the audience how to become a donor through the Donor Registry.
- Provide registry brochures and encourage joining today.
- Encourage those who joined the registry to share their decision with their family.